Search This Blog

Monday, June 27, 2022

Disaffiliation from Catholic Church

 Father Carl Chudy, sx, D Min. has released his report on disaffiliation of Catholics in the Archdiocese of Boston.  


I just finished reading it.  It's not long--23 pages.  The stories are sad.  I could sense their heart breaking.  They've been hurt by people, priests, administrators, and others representing the church.

However, no one said that they once believed in the Eucharist and now they don't.  Some said that they never did believe in Church doctrine; I assume that means the Eucharist.  But that means that they never had the gift of faith. Faith is a divine gift that enables an encounter with God.  Faith is a mystery.  How can I explain a supernatural grace?

And the Holy Spirit goes wherever.  I believe everyone can have faith if they want it.  They have to want it and pray for it.  There's the rub.  I guess some never see the need of it.

Of course, if the Lord has need of someone to cooperate in Divine Plans than we'd see a Saul to Paul experience.  But most of us aren't called in that way.

This report tells many sad tales of people being hurt and not listened to.  I can relate.  But I would never let poor pastoral practices keep me away from the Eucharist.  That's what the Catholic Church is to me--the Eucharist and only Catholic priests have Apostolic succession (Matt 16:18).

No comments:

Bulletin for Mary

I'm composing a blurb for my parish's church bulletin. Some friends and I are "tree huggers." We're into gardening a...