Search This Blog

Thursday, June 9, 2022

Go but Come Back


 This is my first attempt at this type of Bible Journaling.  This is the Gospel of Luke 9: 57-62.  I'm assign as Lector, the Sunday this Gospel is written.  Of course, I don't read the Gospel, but to fully prepare, I read all the day's readings.  That being said, the First Reading is 1 Kings 19: 16b, 19-21.  In it, the opposite seems to be said.

In Kings, Elisha is allowed to go back and say goodbye to his parents and to distribute his accumulation of goods.  But Jesus says if you have to go back then you can't be my disciple.

I take it for granted that Jesus can read hearts and knows that the young man is just looking for an excuse.  But I still wonder if that young man eventually will do what Elisha did.

That's not my conundrum.  How do I read Elijah telling Elisha "Go Back!"?

How should my tone convey go back and do what you need to  do to follow me?  

I am thinking of shrugging my shoulders as I tentatively say, "Go back."

A friend suggested that I just read it any ole way and let the Holy Spirit interpreted it for each person.  What do you think?

No comments:

Trinity

 Where did the idea of God being Three Persons, come from?  It came from Jesus.  Matthew 28: 19.   New International Version Therefore go an...