Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Follow Me

 A few weeks ago, in my post Go But Come Back I wrestled with the conundrum that Elijah allows Elisha to go back to say goodbye but Jesus will not allow it.   I've learned a few things since then.  

1.  "Follow Me" was a rabbi's idiom to invite someone to become his disciple.  It was an honor.  You did not  refuse.  I'm quoting Preserving Bible Times.

 Throughout the Gospels, the phrase “follow me” is a Jewish idiom used by the rabbis to mean, “Come and be with me as my disciple and submit to my authoritative teaching. Hearing that meant you had made the last “cut.” You are now on the varsity. You are good enough to be my disciple!” We in the West tend to focus mostly on the appealing “come and be with Me” front-end part of that invitation. But contextually, you can’t have one without the other. Absolute submission to Rabbi Yeshua’s authoritative teaching is a Siamese twin with the “come and be with me” portion of that invitation. 

2. These two men, Jesus said "Follow me" to, obviously did not have absolute submission. Luke 9: 59-62

3.  Elijah was a prophet, not a rabbi.  He could allow Elisha to go back and say goodbye.

When Jesus calls you to "Follow me," pray that you are submissive. 



No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...