Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2022

Kiss Goodbye

 

The LORD said to Elijah:
“You shall anoint Elisha, son of Shaphat of Abelmeholah,
as prophet to succeed you.”

Elijah set out and came upon Elisha, son of Shaphat,
as he was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen;
he was following the twelfth.
Elijah went over to him and threw his cloak over him.
Elisha left the oxen, ran after Elijah, and said,
“Please, let me kiss my father and mother goodbye,
and I will follow you.”
Elijah answered, “Go back!
Have I done anything to you?”
Elisha left him, and taking the yoke of oxen, slaughtered them;
he used the plowing equipment for fuel to boil their flesh,
and gave it to his people to eat.
Then Elisha left and followed Elijah as his attendant.

Studium:

When Elijah threw his cloak on Elisha, Elisha knew that Elijah was giving his his job. I think of it as a speaker giving his gavel to the new speaker.  

MEDITATIO:

When Elijah answered, "Go Back!" He was not taking the job offer back, he was telling Elisha, OK, go back.  We all can't just flit here and there.  We have responsibilities to complete.

When my friend Karen entered the convent, she had to find a good home for her beloved dog. She sold her car. IOW, she tied up her old life to be free to enter the convent.

ORATIO:

I wish I were free of responsibilities so I could devote myself to God.  I love going on retreat.  There I have nothing to do but pray, read, and eat. But my vocation isn't being a contemplative.  It's being a Lay Dominican with family responsibilities.  I need to do those jobs well.

CONTEMPLATIO:

Lord I trust that you gave me the life I live.  I certainly would never have become a Lay Dominican with an apostolate of prison ministry.  You gave me three children and now two grandchildren. I do my best to tell them all about You.  Help me to bring them closer to You.

RESOLUTIO:

This week I'm bringing my grands to Adoration.  Speak to them, O Lord.


No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...