Search This Blog

Friday, May 6, 2022

In Defense of Mary

 A priest was telling us the story about the time he was talking to a class of Jewish students and he was completely taken aback when one student asked him, "How can you base a religion on a rape?"

The student was referring to the pregnancy of Mary.

The priest just said it was a matter of faith.  Well, I thought that was a lame answer.  I still think so but I understand the priest was blind-sided. I immediately thought that I would have answered that a virgin giving birth was predicted in the Old Testament.  So I googled it and only found one reference.  ONE!!! That's all.  I was so disappointed.  

14Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call Him Immanuel.     Isaiah 7: 14

This morning, I came across another prediction. I am reading Cardinal Ratzinger's book, God is Near Us, and refers to Genisis 3:15: 

And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

There can't be any more enmity between evil and God than Jesus.  This verse is referring to Jesus.  But it mentions "the woman."  The woman is Mary. 

Bible hub also has another:

Jeremiah 31:22
How long wilt thou go about, O thou backsliding daughter? for the LORD hath created a new thing in the earth, A woman shall compass a man.

Mary does encompass every human, except Jesus, but they both share the same DNA.


No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...