Search This Blog

Sunday, May 8, 2022

How to Discern God's Will


 Since January 1, 2018, I have been reading the Bible in a year, following Meg Hunter-Kilmer's plan. Oh I know it's May 8, 2022.  So?  I am not consistently regular, but I have never given up.  I'm nearing the end.  Anyway, I noticed the way Paul and his companions discerned what and which way to go--to preach--to behave.  Acts 16: 6 caught my eye:

Paul and his companions traveled throughout the region of Phrygia/and Galatia, having been kept by the Holy Spirit from preaching the word in the province of Asia.

Would you call this, "thinking twice," "thought better of it?"  Did Paul just intuit that it was a bad idea?  Did he hear God's voice?  Did he have a vision?

The scripture verse doesn't say.  This is what I think is the way Paul and his companions discerned what to do and that we also should follow:

  • Pray asking God to show you what He want you to do.
  • Make sure you aren't going against the Commandments, Corporal and Spiritual Works of Mercy and Church Laws.  Are their any secular laws stated that you may or may not have to break?
  • Ask mature Christians and authorities for advice.
  • Discern whether it's your own will that is the primary motive.
  • Ask for guidance, a sign, some feeling that what you are choosing is God's Will.
Note that in Acts 16:6, Paul was kept from Asia.  God leads us to go and NOT go.  

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...