Search This Blog

Monday, December 22, 2014

Evaluation of Week One


I've completed the first week of St. Louis de Montfort's True Devotion, Consecration to Mary.  My thoughts tend to be critical.  I'll still persist to the end.  I'm faithful to the point of stupidity.  In this case, I have nothing to lose.  Time?  Hey, I'm retired!

And that's my first criticism.  No way could I be doing this consecration in any other time of my life, except in my retirement.  Today's lifestyles are just too busy, regrettably so, but necessarily so, if one has to compete in the workplace.

The other criticism is it's outdated and confusing.  My first day was just scripture.  I skimmed over it because I know these verses, so well.  There was no commentary, whatsoever, accompanying them.  The language is not modern, so it may confuse the reader.  Before one starts, you are supposed to sing or read Veni Creator--all seven stanzas!  Each time!  There are five meditations each day, hence I'm supposed to sing Veni Creator's seven stanzas, five times, a day.

I used to like that song, Veni Creator.

The meditations are mostly from the Imitation of Christ.  That was written in Medieval times, and the language isn't updated.  The theme this week is to hate one's self.  I expect flagellation, on the next page.  It's too much.

I was made in the image and likeness of God.  My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit.  I think it's disrespecting God when I disrespect myself.  I understand what de Montfort is saying.  We are nothing compared to God.  We owe Him everything.  But the medieval concept of denial and the language is so self-deprecating, that it's a turn off.  It's just too much!

No comments:

Praying from the Heart

 The book I chose for my Lenten reading was Inner Life A Fellow Traveler's Guide to Prayer, by David Torkington.  I finished it this Sun...