Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never...

 "Winston Churchill gave the shortest and most memorable commencement address in history, at his alma mater during World War II.  It consisted of just one sentence: "Never, never, never, never, never, never, never give up."

I'm quoting the conclusion of Peter Kreeft's book, Prayer for Beginners.  I took my time with this because I was reading it as Lectio Divina.  I read just a little each day.  The dedication matches the end--never, never...   The prologue states "to the person who taught me to pray, or rather is teaching me (with astonishing patience), Jesus Christ."

IOW, don't give up, ever!  Keep it up.  Come back to it, but don't give up.  

It's a small book, barely a hundred pages, perfect for a beginner.  I remember going to a Spiritual Director and my first statement was that I wanted to pray better. This book should have been given to me.  I think everybody at one time or another want to learn to pray.  Kreeft first explains what you need to pray and then how to pray.  There are many "how's."  Work can be prayer.  Dance can be prayer.  Art can be prayer.  Get it?  

But the best advice is the last chapter on perseverance.  Hence, the "Never, never, never..."


No comments:

Hands Up Don't Shoot

  Our Lady of Ferguson Icon by Mark Doox Icons are written because they are stories. This story began in the city of Ferguson, Missouri, whi...