Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Begging for Forgiveness

LECTIO 

Psalm 51: 3-4, 12-13, 17, 19

R. (Lk 15:18)  I will rise and go to my father.
Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness;
in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense.
Thoroughly wash me from my guilt
and of my sin cleanse me.
R. I will rise and go to my father.
A clean heart create for me, O God,
and a steadfast spirit renew within me.
Cast me not out from your presence,
and your Holy Spirit take not from me.
R. I will rise and go to my father.
O Lord, open my lips,
and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
My sacrifice, O God, is a contrite spirit;
a heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn.
R. I will rise and go to my father.

STUDIUM 

Google tells me that this psalm is often recited by those in dire need. “It was recited in full by Sir Thomas More and Lady Jane Grey when they were on the scaffold in the bloody days of Henry VIII and Queen Mary. William Carey, the great pioneer missionary to India, asked that it might be the text of his funeral sermon.”

It is heart rendering.  Sir Thomays More and Lady Jane Grey must have been denied a priest for the last rites because they certainly are looking for forgiveness.

MEDITATIO  

What a confession of sins!  The psalmist is truly sorry.  He is appealing for mercy.

ORATIO

Lord, this psalm says it all.  Absolve me of all my iniquities.  Have mercy on me.

CONTEMPLATIO

Have mercy on us sinners.

RESOLUTIO

I'm going to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation as soon as possible.


https://www.catholicnewsworld.com/2019/04/how-to-go-to-confession-easy-guide-so.html

No comments:

Hands Up Don't Shoot

  Our Lady of Ferguson Icon by Mark Doox Icons are written because they are stories. This story began in the city of Ferguson, Missouri, whi...