Search This Blog

Thursday, June 18, 2020

Who's Your Mama?


It's not that Red at the Bone by Jacqueline Woodson wasn't well written. It is. But at this time in history, it was jarring to read about affluent black families. Also, I couldn't tell when the author wrote in italics whether those words were spoken or thought. And I wasn't sure when I began a chapter, who was speaking. Whose point of view was I reading? I got it eventually but I didn't find that enjoyable.

I did enjoy the twist of a black mother leaving her baby instead of the father. She didn't abandon her child though, she just wanted her own career. I'm sure Iris, the baby's mother will take up most of the discussion in book clubs.

The baby Melody is taken care of.  Aubrey, the father lives with Iris' parents and this core family creates a loving home for Melody. The plot involves all three families: grandparents, parents, and the child. The reader gets a compassionate slice of each of their lives. You love and understand each character. The author writes well.

No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...