Search This Blog

Friday, March 1, 2019

My Lenten Reads

I'm looking forward to Lent this year because I have some good books I want to read.

(1)  The Word in the Wilderness, A Poem A Day for Lent and Easter by Malcolm Guite.  I discovered Malcolm Guite at the end of Advent.  I like his poetry.  He's an Anglican priest and writes so much that I can relate to and understand. 

(2) Lift Up Your Heart by Fulton J. Sheen, is a recommendation from a friend.
It's advice on how to live a spiritually complete life.

(3)  This one I never wanted to read, The Story of a Soul by St. Therese of Lisieux.  It was written a long time, ago.  Who wants to read stuff that old?  Not I.
     But St. Therese kept being mentioned in the teaching materials I'm using to teach Lectio Divina.  She was everywhere.  Since I wasn't paying attention, the Holy Spirit woke me up one night.  I couldn't get back to sleep, so I got up and turned on the television.  It was an hour-long show promoting Therese's The Story of a Soul.  Some of the program was about Therese, but what touched me were the individual stories of different people, from different walks of life, who had their lives altered after reading The Story of a Soul.
     "OK, Lord, I can take a hint."
    I thought I already had a copy somewhere on my bookshelves.  When I quickly perused the book- shelf, it practically leaped out at me.  A brand new book, St. Therese of Lisieux Story of a Soul, translation by John Clarke, O.C.D., prepared by Marc Foley, O.C.D.

No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...