Search This Blog

Saturday, March 9, 2019

No More Wondering

Lectio:     Deuteronomy 26: 4-10 

Moses spoke to the people, saying: 
"The priest shall receive the basket from you 
and shall set it in front of the altar of the LORD, your God.
Then you shall declare before the Lord, your God, 
'My father was a wandering Aramean 
who went down to Egypt with a small household 
and lived there as an alien.
But there he became a nation 
great, strong, and numerous.
When the Egyptians maltreated and oppressed us, 
imposing hard labor upon us, 
we cried to the LORD, the God of our fathers, 
and he heard our cry
and saw our affliction, our toil, and our oppression.
He brought us out of Egypt
with his strong hand and outstretched arm,
with terrifying power, with signs and wonders;
and bringing us into this country,
he gave us this land flowing with milk and honey.
Therefore, I have now brought you the firstfruits
of the products of the soil 
which you, O LORD, have given me.'
And having set them before the Lord, your God, 
you shall bow down in his presence."

Studium:

"My father was a wandering Aramean..." is the formula that was said as the Israelite farmer used as he offered to God the first fruits of his harvest in thanksgiving for his crops, during the Feast of Weeks.  It tells the story of our faith.  God helps His people and guides us.

Meditatio:

God is a real Presence.  He is not an abstract concept.  He guided the Israelites from Egyptian slavery, fed them, and gave them land.  I, myself, can see His guidance in my life: choices of a spouse, career, children, and vocation.  I would not be where I am spiritually were it not for God's guiding love.

Oratio:

Lord, I can't express my gratitude sufficiently.  But I promise to dedicate my remaining years obey Your Will.  Lead me. Guide me.  Love me.

Contemplatio:

I can rest in Your Love.  Amen.

2 comments:

Alberto Antonio, O.P. said...

This is beautiful. The meditatio especially reached me and I say Amen to it. Thank you.

Faith said...

I made a mistake in the title. I meant to put "wandering," not "wondering." But it was a fortuitous mistake, "wondering" is much better.

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...