Search This Blog

Monday, July 17, 2017

Expressive Proclamation

Lectio:                                                                                               


Romans 8: 26-27
Brothers and sisters:
The Spirit comes to the aid of our weakness;
for we do not know how to pray as we ought,
but the Spirit Himself intercedes with inexpressible groanings.
And the One who searches hearts
knows what is the intention of the Spirit,
because He intercedes for the holy ones
according to God's will.

Studium

Paul is writing to the Romans after the Resurrection and Pentecost.  He is telling the people that the Spirit is still living within them.  In spite of human weakness, the Spirit will help--according to God's will.  Remember that it is God's will that we will be saved.  The Holy Spirit will help us.  Note that Paul uses the word intercede twice.

Meditatio

My charismatic friends will slip into speaking in tongues - glossolalia.  They consider it a manifestation of the Holy Spirit.  I can not judge.  I do not speak in tongues or ever have.  But I have been given words to say that surprised me.  I have written things that surprised me.  I consider these occasions the work of the Holy Spirit.  Also, there were times when words just didn't come when I needed them.  It is all according to God's will.

Oratio

Lord, come to my aid when I am explaining You.  Please send the Holy Spirit to give me the necessary words to penetrate the hearts and minds of Your people.  Help me to pray unceasingly.

Contemplatio

Holy Spirit be with me.

No comments:

Praying from the Heart

 The book I chose for my Lenten reading was Inner Life A Fellow Traveler's Guide to Prayer, by David Torkington.  I finished it this Sun...