Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

From Temple to Rubble


Less than twenty-four hours ago, I was chafing under St. Louis de Montfort's exaltation to hate ourselves.  I summed up the first week of St. Louis de Montfort's True Devotion Consecration to Mary as outdated and, well, ...ridiculous.  I wrote:

"The meditations are mostly from the Imitation of Christ.  That was written in Medieval times, and the language isn't updated.  The theme this week is to hate one's self.  I expect flagellation, on the next page.  It's too much. 

I was made in the image and likeness of God.  My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit.  I think it's disrespecting God when I disrespect myself.  I understand what de Montfort is saying.  We are nothing compared to God.  We owe Him everything.  But the medieval concept of denial and the language is so self-deprecating, that it's a turn off.  It's just too much!"

 Today is a new day.  Everything I read for this morning is pointing me towards being like de Montfort's ideal.  What really blows my mind, is that this morning, I'm receptive to it.  I don't rail against it.  I'm listening/reading.  I'm open to the saint's suggestions.

They (meaning me) can look upon themselves during...this week as snails, crawling things, toads, swine, serpents and unclean animals...(True Devotion, Section 228).

See, I told you this consecration is self-deprecating.  It's probably meant to be.  He's got to break you, bring you down, before he can mold you into what he wants you to be (what God wants us to be).

For some reason, I'm drawn to this book.  I yearn to read what's next.  And I'm finding more and more interesting concepts, upon which to meditate.  I may let you in on some.  Stay tuned.


No comments:

Praying from the Heart

 The book I chose for my Lenten reading was Inner Life A Fellow Traveler's Guide to Prayer, by David Torkington.  I finished it this Sun...