Search This Blog

Monday, December 1, 2014

First Comes Love

Listening to a couple of friends, who happen to teach theology, complain about their undergraduate students who don't know their catechism, made me reflect upon the number of times, I who teach "catechism" complain that my students don't know, and certainly don't love, God.  I feel like I'm wasting my time because I can practically see what I say going in one ear and out the other.  So I think my college theology teachers are putting the blame in the wrong place.  Yes, they are correct that their students don't know basic catechesis.  But they need to carry that assessment deeper, and ask "How come?"  

The students went to catechesis.  But like the proverbial horse led to the trough if he's not thirsty, he ain't drinking.  

Falling in love with God is necessary and the first requirement for catechesis.  

I'm sure of my answer.  All I have to do is compare my class of unruly kids who don't want to be there, to my six men in RCIA class.







No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...