Search This Blog

Friday, December 26, 2014

Don't Waste Your Prayers.

Contemplate this picture by MEK, Pencil in the Hole.

I question the usefulness of the Litany of Humility.  The litany has you praying for something that will happen anyway?  It's life.  There's always somebody smarter, more handsome, richer, pleasanter, more personality, etc.  Capece?

Here are some of the petitions:

That others may be loved more than I.

That others may be esteemed more than I.

That, in the opinion of the world, others may increase and I may decrease.

That others may be chosen and I set aside.

That others may be praised and I go unnoticed.

That others may become holier than I.

Do you see what I'm saying?  What a waste of time!  This will happen whether you pray for it or not.  Sigh (Resigned sigh.)  I don't think St. Louis de Montfort and Thomas a Kempis are on my wavelength.

I'm thinking of writing my own book, Commuting Consecration to Mary.  It will be short, but to make up in brevity, it will last 365 days.  I'll pray about this.  I'll even put some editorial cartoons in, to contemplate.  Catchy songs you'll be singing all day. What about riddles?  Jokes?  A scavenger hunt!!!!!!

1 comment:

kkollwitz said...

Hey, de Montfort ain't my cup of tea either.

Praying from the Heart

 The book I chose for my Lenten reading was Inner Life A Fellow Traveler's Guide to Prayer, by David Torkington.  I finished it this Sun...