Search This Blog

Monday, October 10, 2022

David's Patience

 

LECTIO:                                                                                                                                             2 Sm 5:1-3
In those days, all the tribes of Israel came to David in Hebron and said:
"Here we are, your bone and your flesh.
In days past, when Saul was our king,
it was you who led the Israelites out and brought them back.
And the LORD said to you,
'You shall shepherd my people Israel
and shall be commander of Israel.'"
When all the elders of Israel came to David in Hebron,
King David made an agreement with them there before the LORD,
and they anointed him king of Israel.

STUDIUM:

David was leading the Israelites even when Saul was still their king.  Then Saul died they came to David and said "You shall shepherd...and be commander of Israel."  Note that they begin by pointing out their kinship to David, "...we are your bone and flesh."  This descriptive phrase is also in Genesis 2:23, where Adam says Eve is "bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh."  David is king by popular demand.

MEDITATIO:
 
I have to remember David's patience.  He had to wait to be crowned king over all Israel, even though God promised that he would be king of Israel.  He was crowned king first, by Samuel, but Saul's jealously caused David to run and hide.  David wasn't officially king 30 + years, later. He had to be prepared.  Maybe not getting what I want is just a preparation period.  I just have to trust God.

ORATIO:

Lord, I pray for patience.  I need to trust that Your timing is best and your decisions are for my own good.  If David believed and trusted, then I hope I can too.

CONTEMPLATIO:

Fear and worry are paralyzing, but faith and trust in God negate fear and worry.

RESOLUTIO:

 Remember David's patience and trust in the Lord.



No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...