Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Death is Calling


Is it a strange thought to think more and more of one's death, as one gets older?  I think not.  Now that All Souls Day is a week away, I feel the urge to acknowledge the day in some manner.  The cemeteries where my parents, grandparents, etc. are far away, so it is not feasible to visit them.  The least I can do is pray for my beloved deceased.

This morning I heard a prayer St. Padre Pio said.  The priest said he prays it after Communion.  I can see where that would be appropriate, but this section is what resonated with me.  

Stay with me, Jesus, for it is getting late, and the day is coming to a close, and life passes, death, judgment, eternity approach. It is necessary to renew my strength so that I will not stop along the way and for that, I need You. It is getting late and death approaches. I fear the darkness, the temptations, the dryness, the cross, the sorrows. O how I need You, my Jesus, in this night of exile. 

Stay with me tonight, Jesus, in life with all its dangers, I need You.

Let me recognize You as Your disciples did at the breaking of bread so that the Eucharistic Communion be the light which disperses the darkness, the force which sustains me, the unique joy of my heart. 

Stay with me Lord, because at the hour of my death, I want to remain united to you, if not by Communion, at least by grace and love. 

Stay with me Jesus, I do not ask for divine consolation because I do not merit it, but the gift of Your presence, oh yes, I ask this of You.

 I am going to pray it before going to bed.  In my old age, I yearn for the presence of Jesus.

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...