Search This Blog

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Isn't God So Good?

There's a saying that death comes in threes.  I've got my three this week.  Hubby's good friend, Dave, my "cloistered brother," Brother Paul Mary,  and a good neighbor and friend, Don.  As a Christian, I wonder why they're so lucky to go home.  It makes me jealous, sometimes.

I understand that many not on the same spiritual path as myself, can't comprehend my references.  I also know that I can't explain it anymore than you can explain rock n' roll to a Martian.

Today, I was reading in the Boston Globe an article an article, "You could see the comfort come," p. 1, Sept. 8, 2013.  It's about the priest who ministered to the family of the little boy who was killed in the Boston Marathon Bombings.  The priest, Father Sean Connor, tells of this experience.  To complicate the situation, Father Connor's friend, Father Brian Smith died at the same time.

These two priests were best friends.  Father Smith is the one who used to ask, "Isn't God so good?"
"'How come he gets to go home early?' he quipped about his departed colleague to another priest friend who had accompanied him to the cemetery, as they wept."

I see that I'm not the only one who thinks like I do.  We cry because our loved ones had become a part of us, and that part isn't there any more.  But we realize that they've just gone ahead of us.  It's like crying at your high school graduation.  You will never be a high school student, again, with these same kids, again, and the same experiences.  That part of your life has to die for you to move on.  Isn't God so good?

We have friends waiting to welcome us in heaven.  Isn't God so good?

Simple Explanation of the Mass

 Everything you ever wanted to learn about the Catholic Mass is explained by Mike Aquilina's Understanding the Mass .  This little book,...