Search This Blog

Sunday, September 17, 2023

Hunting Season

 One of my favorite authors is Louise Penny.  I've read a few of her mysteries, so much so that I've listed her characters and mapped the village of Three Pines.  I finally decided to start reading her first Gamarche mystery, Still Life.

Since I've read others, it was interesting to see how Inspector Gamarche first came to Three Pines and fell in love with the village.  I also learned the origin of Three Pines grouped together meaning that the village was safe for Loyalists to the English crown.  I think the combination of Quebecois and English is unique and interesting.  If that area of Canada really talks like that, I bet it will develop into their own dialect.

This particular mystery solves the murder of a beloved teacher.  She was killed with an arrow.  There are a lot of red herrings.  Some are better bets than the real killer.  But it's a nice touch that one of the characters needing a little TLC has hope to get it.  The Louis Penny mysteries with Inspector Gamarche do seem to help the hopeless.  He's a fair minded, but tough cop.  He's very observant.

I can see why this mystery continued.  I want to read more.



No comments:

Birthdays

 Two birthday parties mentioned in the Bible are one by an Egyptian Pharaoh and Herod.  The Pharaoh doesn't have a name but he threw him...