Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Why Are You Going on a Pilgrimage?

 My cribbage partner asked me why I was going on a pilgrimage.

Why?

I was dumbfounded.  I probably said some inane thing, but since then I've been wondering what I should have said.

I am going on the Rosary Pilgrimage to the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, DC. Certainly, a pilgrimage should be more than just a journey to a place of religious interest.  It shouldn't be like, "Let's go see the Mary Garden."  "Let's go to a concert." 

One's thoughts should be directed towards God.  The journey to the place should be praying to expect special graces at the destination. So, it is a devotional component of our trip.

I'm looking for miracles.  At the basilica, I plan to pray for specific needs for my family, friends, country, and the world.  The journey down to the basilica is offered as part of my prayers. I'll take your intentions with me, too.




No comments:

Birthdays

 Two birthday parties mentioned in the Bible are one by an Egyptian Pharaoh and Herod.  The Pharaoh doesn't have a name but he threw him...