Search This Blog

Saturday, August 20, 2022

St. Bernard and the Spider



 

 This morning I was reading in my Breviary.  Today is a memorial to St. Bernard.  As I prayed and contemplated, I spotted a spider crawling on the table.  I watched it progress towards me.  It actually had the chutzpah to creep onto my prayer book.  Blasphemy!  Abomination!

Of course, God created all things, spiders too.  I know that, but spiders bite and I did not kill him for pleasure.  

One could think that I helped the spider to his heavenly home sooner rather than later.

Okay.  I slammed the book closed on it.

That was the end of my Office of Reading.  I didn't do Morning Prayer, either.  Nor Noon Day Prayer.

I just sat down now, to pray Vespers.  I opened the book gingerly.  There the culprit lie.  Right underneath the antiphon:

Come to me in your distress and I will save you.

I'm sorry I'm not sorry.

No comments:

Simple Explanation of the Mass

 Everything you ever wanted to learn about the Catholic Mass is explained by Mike Aquilina's Understanding the Mass .  This little book,...