Search This Blog

Monday, August 29, 2022

God's Anger

LECTIO:

The LORD said to Moses,
"Go down at once to your people,
whom you brought out of the land of Egypt,
for they have become depraved.
They have soon turned aside from the way I pointed out to them,
making for themselves a molten calf and worshiping it,
sacrificing to it and crying out,
'This is your God, O Israel,
who brought you out of the land of Egypt!'
"I see how stiff-necked this people is, " continued the LORD to Moses.
Let me alone, then,
that my wrath may blaze up against them to consume them.
Then I will make of you a great nation."

But Moses implored the LORD, his God, saying,
"Why, O LORD, should your wrath blaze up against your own people,
whom you brought out of the land of Egypt
with such great power and with so strong a hand?
Remember your servants Abraham, Isaac, and Israel,
and how you swore to them by your own self, saying,
'I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky;
and all this land that I promised,
I will give your descendants as their perpetual heritage.'"
So the LORD relented in the punishment
he had threatened to inflict on his people.

STUDIUM:

When the Israelites were in Egypt they saw idolatry.  Maybe they thought the golden calf was Yahweh.  When they pictured God maybe they thought He looked liked a calf.  After all, their holy pictures and statues were destroyed and/or left behind.  Am I trying to excuse them?  
    But that's not the point.  The Israelites were worshiping Baal.  Moses up on the mountain doesn't know this, but God does and is furious.  Moses calms Him down by reminding God of His love and promises to Abraham's people.  

MEDITATIO:

If only the people had patience.  Eventually, God gives them the Arc of the Covenant with statues and everything.  They wanted visible, physical proof of Yahweh and they do get it. One lesson to learn from Exodus 32: 7-14 is to wait and trust in God.  

ORATIO:

I pray to have the grace of trust and perseverance.  I don't want to be like the Israelites worshiping Baal because Yahweh seems to have gone away.  I know You are always with me and I pray to never forget that.

CONTEMPLATIO:

Maybe I should ask Moses to intercede for me.  He talked God out of destroying the Israelites worshiping Baal, certainly he would make a good defense attorney.  Moses pray for me.

RESOLUTIO:

I resolve to keep up my daily spiritual exercises to never forget that God is my creator, my savior, my everything.  



No comments:

Hands Up Don't Shoot

  Our Lady of Ferguson Icon by Mark Doox Icons are written because they are stories. This story began in the city of Ferguson, Missouri, whi...