Search This Blog

Sunday, April 12, 2020

The Spear

At the start of Lent, some friends and I undertook a series of dinner and videos at a nearby parish.  One of the participants gave me a book to read, The Spear by Louis de
Wohl.

I started it a week ago having no idea what it was n about.  It turned out to be a blessing.  It is about Jesus last week.  It's about Holy Week. 

The first part sets the characters.  You meet Cassius Longinus, a Roman centurion.  He goes through hell.  He falls in love.  That love of his life later is married to Pontius Pilate. 

Cassius sells himself to pay off his father's debts.  He is a slave and ends up fighting a gladiator.  Well, he wins and goes back to his Roman legion.  Which just happens to be going to Palestine.

The next section of the book is in Palestine.  We meet Sadducees and Palestinians and Jesus and Judas and Mary and Martha and Lazarus.  This is where I realized that I was reading what I was observing in the church--Holy Week. 

That blew my mind.

I couldn't have picked a better book.  It was an easy read with a good story.  The character of Naomi was added as a love interest for Cassius.  (I told you it was a good story.)

I read about the Last Supper as Jesus had Seder.

I read about Judas' treachery. 

I read about Jesus capture, trial, carrying the cross and death as Good Friday happened.

I finished the book on Holy Saturday.  Jesus rose and appeared to the apostles.

Today is Easter and I thank God for giving me that book at the right time.  God's timing is perfect. 

No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...