Search This Blog

Monday, April 6, 2020

I Couldn't Give It Away

Bishop Barron's meditation today talks about the woman who anoints Jesus' feet with expensive oil and her tears and dries them with her hair (who does that?)  Barron posits that this extravagant gesture foreshadows Jesus' gesture of giving His Whole Self.  Later he asks us if we have ever been
the recipient of extravagant gestures or the giver of some such extravagance.

I answer both and it wasn't easy.

One Christmas I went to pay a bill and admired the Christmas pin, the cashier was wearing.  She took it off and gave it to me, saying "Merry Christmas."  I was overwhelmed.  I basked in her generosity for a year.

Next Christmas, I wore the pin myself.  Many people exclaimed admiration for it and I did what the generous cashier did, i.e. I took it off, handed it to them with a "Merry Christmas."

No one took it.  Not one!

I still have it.

No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...