Search This Blog

Friday, April 17, 2020

Everyone Identifies with Thomas at One Time or Another

Third Sunday of Easter Year A

Lectio: 

John 20: 19-31

On the evening of that first day of the week, when the doors were locked, where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, "Peace be with you."  When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side.  The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord.  Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you.  As the Father has sent me, so I send you."  And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit.  Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained."

Thomas, called Didymus, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came.  So the other disciples said to him, "We have seen the Lord."  But he said to them, "Unless I see the mark of the nailmarks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe."

Now a week later his disciples were again inside and Thomas was with them.  Jesus came, although the doors were locked, and stood in their midst and said, "Peace be with you."  Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger  here and see my hands, and do not be unbelieving, but believe."  Thomas answered and said to him, "My Lord and my God!"  Jesus said to him, "Have you come to believe because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed."

Now, Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples that are not written in this book.  But these are written that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that through this belief you may have life in his name.

Studium: 

I noticed that the apostles are locked behind closed doors because they fear the Jews.  They are not out and about spreading the news of the Resurrection.  Pentecost is coming and then they will be given the tools to go out and evangelize.  When Jesus suddenly appears in this room, I can imagine the shock.  Jesus greets them with a traditional greeting, "Peace be with you."  Any fear the apostles have is relaxed.  They are joyous.
   And again Jesus talks about His Father sending Him and the Holy Spirit forgiving sins.  Do they understand?  Well, they are used to Jesus' cryptic speeches.  Just wait for Pentecost, when all will be understood.
   However, the apostle, Thomas wasn't there.  He missed out.  When his confreres babble on about seeing Jesus, he thinks they're kidding.  Where's the punch line?
   Hold on Thomas, it's coming and the joke's on you.
   Again Jesus appears in the room.  C'mon Thomas.  Put your money where your mouth is--put your finger right in His wounds.  There's no need; it's obvious.  Thomas proclaims "My Lord and my God!"
   Who hasn't been a doubting Thomas?  This scene has been a beacon of hope to all of us at one time or another.  When we doubt, when we don't understand and can't believe, we think of Thomas and pray, "My Lord and my God."

   And what a nice conclusion to this story is Jesus' blessing all we Christians with "Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed."

Meditatio:

I remember not believing in the True Presence in the Eucharist.  I still received communion and prayed "My Lord and my God."  Thanks be to God, the gift of faith was given to me.  I believe.

Oratio:

Lord, I believe.  Help any unbelief.

Contemplatio:

My Lord and my God.

Resolutio:

I resolve to thank the Father and the Holy Spirit for their Son, in every Eucharist I receive.



No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...