Search This Blog

Friday, May 30, 2014

RIP Maya Angelou

Maya Angelou lost her brother when he was in his twenties.  Even though we may not have lost our siblings, so young, I think we all can relate to trying to replace them with "forcing strangers into brother molds."  Maya died, May 28, 2014.  She and Bailey can now walk silently in eternal woods together.  Requiescant in pace.


Kin

BY MAYA ANGELOU
FOR BAILEY

We were entwined in red rings   
Of blood and loneliness before   
The first snows fell
Before muddy rivers seeded clouds   
Above a virgin forest, and   
Men ran naked, blue and black   
Skinned into the warm embraces   
Of Sheba, Eve and Lilith.
I was your sister.

You left me to force strangers   
Into brother molds, exacting   
Taxations they never
Owed or could ever pay.

You fought to die, thinking   
In destruction lies the seed   
Of birth. You may be right.

I will remember silent walks in   
Southern woods and long talks   
In low voices
Shielding meaning from the big ears   
Of overcurious adults.

You may be right.   
Your slow return from
Regions of terror and bloody
Screams, races my heart.
I hear again the laughter   
Of children and see fireflies   
Bursting tiny explosions in   
An Arkansas twilight.

Praying from the Heart

 The book I chose for my Lenten reading was Inner Life A Fellow Traveler's Guide to Prayer, by David Torkington.  I finished it this Sun...