Search This Blog

Friday, October 6, 2023

Robert Frost's Last Words

 Recently, I came across the poet Robert Frost's epithath on his grave stone: 

                "I HAD A LOVER'S QUARREL WITH THE WORLD."

Why would he say that?  A little googling will tell you that Frost wrote a poem entitled, "The Lesson for Today".  He recited it at an event celebrating a Harvard University's Phi Beta Kappa Society's Anniversary.  It isn't a popular poem.  It is full of obscure references, that maybe the brothers in Phi Beta Kappa knew, but not we uninitiated.  However, the poem's last stanza reads:

“I hold your doctrine of Memento Mori
And were an epitaph to be my story,
I’d have a short one ready for my own.
I would have written of me on my stone:
I had a lover’s quarrel with the world.”

One of the last interviews Frost did, before he died, was a documentary by Shirley Clarke, where the program was called, "I had a lover's quarrel with the world."  Perhaps, this is why it is on his gravestone.


 What do you want on your headstone?

 

No comments:

The Last Believers

  The Women by Kristin Hannah is a wonderful story about a woman’s experience working as a nurse during the Vietnam War. It’s heart wrenchi...