Search This Blog

Sunday, October 8, 2023

Aliens

 

Thus says the LORD:
"You shall not molest or oppress an alien,
for you were once aliens yourselves in the land of Egypt.
You shall not wrong any widow or orphan.
If ever you wrong them and they cry out to me,
I will surely hear their cry.
My wrath will flare up, and I will kill you with the sword;
then your own wives will be widows, and your children orphans.

"If you lend money to one of your poor neighbors among my people,
you shall not act like an extortioner toward him
by demanding interest from him.
If you take your neighbor's cloak as a pledge,
you shall return it to him before sunset;
for this cloak of his is the only covering he has for his body.
What else has he to sleep in?
If he cries out to me, I will hear him; for I am compassionate."

STUDIUM:

This reading comes from Exodus 22:22-23:33, which is a collection of case laws, pronouncements, commands, and prohibitions.  This happens just after God came to Mount Sinai and gave Moses the Ten Commandments.  This reading is specifically for aliens.  Aliens are grouped with widows and orphans, as the poorest and most vulnerable.  
   The second command has to do with money lending.  In the ancient world, lending money was more like today's pawn broker.  Only poor people who had no other choice used money lenders because they charged high interest--think loan shark. This command forbade charging interest and what could be used for collateral.  For example, you cannot keep a person's cloak as collateral, because they most likely will need it.

MEDITATIO:

Since my state is a sanctuary state, my town has many migrants and refugees.  Some people don't like it and others, who at first were welcoming, now see their generosity running on low.

ORATIO:

Lord, what's the matter with people?  Do they forget their grandparents and how they were treated?  I am blessed to be of second generation immigrants.  In memory of my grandparents, I welcome and support the refugees that have come to my town.


CONTEMPLATIO:

Thank you Jesus for giving me enough to give to others.

RESOLUTIO:

Immediately after writing this post, I am donating money to help these refugees.

No comments:

Birthdays

 Two birthday parties mentioned in the Bible are one by an Egyptian Pharaoh and Herod.  The Pharaoh doesn't have a name but he threw him...