Search This Blog

Saturday, October 21, 2023

Painful Regret

 This story is related by a Lay Dominican.  When she was young and dumb she had an abortion.  It didn't sit right with her, but life went on and she tried to get over it.  Eventually, she married a Catholic man who was very devotional.  By that I mean that he prayed the Rosary, went to daily Mass... you know the type. 

He also committed himself to do regular hours of Adoration.  This means he is   worshipping the Eucharist outside of the Mass. The Eucharistic Host is displayed in a monstrance on the altar so that all can see and pray in the presence of Christ.

He committed himself to going the same time, the same day, every week.  She didn't.  She is Catholic, but going to Mass on Sunday was essentially all. But one day, he couldn't make his commitment and he asked his wife.  This was fine and she went.

She knew she couldn't pray the whole hour, so she brought a magazine with her to read--at least it was a religious magazine. So, there she was sitting with Jesus in the Monstrance, snapping her gum.  Even though, there was no one in the chapel with them, she suddenly felt disrespectful chewing gum instead of praying.  She took it out and started reciting some prayers.  

I then witnessed a ring from the perimeter of the Eucharistic Host.  It started to glow.  I think it was beating, too.  Suddenly, a baby's face appeared.  Instinctively, I thought of my aborted baby.  I prayed.  I told God that I  was so sorry, so sorry.  The baby's face seemed to be crying.  I didn't know what to do next.  I questioned what I was seeing.  I walked around a bit and the face was still there. When another adorer came in, I watched her reaction.  She acted like she didn't see anything strange in the Host.  I left, shaken.
     In the car, I asked God, "What do You want me to do?"  As clear as if I am here sharing the story with you I heard, "You never told your baby you were sorry." Of course!  I said I was sorry to my baby.  I have never regretted anything so much.
     Next week, I told my husband I would do his Adoration for him.  To my surprise--same scenario--the ring around the Host and the materialization of my baby's face--but smiling back at me.  I was blessed.  I have been an Adorer, myself, ever since.

This story touched me.  I'm not an Adorer, myself, but when the next opportunity arises, I will go.




No comments:

The Last Believers

  The Women by Kristin Hannah is a wonderful story about a woman’s experience working as a nurse during the Vietnam War. It’s heart wrenchi...