Search This Blog

Friday, October 20, 2023

Preach like Paul

 

Brothers and sisters:
You know what sort of people we were among you for your sake.
And you became imitators of us and of the Lord,
receiving the word in great affliction, with joy from the Holy Spirit,
so that you became a model for all the believers
in Macedonia and in Achaia.
For from you the word of the Lord has sounded forth
not only in Macedonia and in Achaia,
but in every place your faith in God has gone forth,
so that we have no need to say anything.
For they themselves openly declare about us
what sort of reception we had among you,
and how you turned to God from idols
to serve the living and true God
and to await his Son from heaven,
whom he raised from the dead,
Jesus, who delivers us from the coming wrath.

STUDIUM:

Paul is probably referencing the miracles God performed in his ministry around the countryside. He is in Achaia, writing to those who live in the northern regions, Thessalonia.
   Evidently, these people are converts from paganism.  Hence, the reference to their pagan idols.  The God of Israel is the living God.  The last sentence mentions the return of Jesus and the wrath to come.  Paul thought Jesus was coming back soon and would punish unbelievers.

MEDITATIO:

I like Paul's salutation, "Brothers and sisters."  Usually, it's just "brothers."  Paul obviously doesn't let his detractors and physical hardships bother him.  He concentrates on the miraculous powers God has bestowed on him.  I wish I could do that.  Paul, also, is among Gentiles.  Today, my world is full of Gentiles.  What would Paul do, today? When I started teaching in 1968-69, there were four boys named "Paul" in my class.  Today, no one has the name Paul.

ORATIO:

Lord, we are closer to the end of times, now, than Paul was.  I need to be prepared and help others, too.  At least my family should be aware.  My witness in my behavior.  My conversations let everyone know Christ is among us--I hope.  Plus, I pray for all.

CONTEMPLATIO:

Lord, help me stay awake and faithful.

RESOLUTIO:

Keep preaching.






No comments:

The Last Believers

  The Women by Kristin Hannah is a wonderful story about a woman’s experience working as a nurse during the Vietnam War. It’s heart wrenchi...