Search This Blog

Monday, January 25, 2021

Once Upon A Time

 

Lectio:                                                                Mk 1:21-28

Then they came to Capernaum,
and on the sabbath Jesus entered the synagogue and taught.
The people were astonished at his teaching,
for he taught them as one having authority and not as the scribes.
In their synagogue was a man with an unclean spirit;
he cried out, “What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth?
Have you come to destroy us?
I know who you are—the Holy One of God!”
Jesus rebuked him and said,
“Quiet!  Come out of him!”
The unclean spirit convulsed him and with a loud cry came out of him.
All were amazed and asked one another,
“What is this?
A new teaching with authority.
He commands even the unclean spirits and they obey him.”
His fame spread everywhere throughout the whole region of Galilee.

Meditatio:

Is Jesus reading?  Is Jesus speaking in parables?  Is Jesus preaching?
How about yes, all three.  He may quote from scripture to emphasize an exact quotation, but people didn't come to the temple with a book of scripture o under their arms.  Maybe they didn't know how to read!  So he must have just talked to them.  It had to be interesting to hold the people's attention, so his preaching had to include stories.

    I know the point of the story is Jesus healing but to me the preaching was more important.  The man wouldn't have even come to temple that day if he didn't want to hear preaching.  Banishing the unclean spirit was a demonstration of Jesus' preaching.  It was a visual aid!

Oratio:

Lord, You can do anything.  You can make demons obey You.  Is it possible You can bless me with some of Your storytelling ability?  I'm not asking to be an exorcist.  Let's leave that to people braver than I.  But I'd like to bring people to You and that's why I'm asking for this talent.

Contemplatio:

You are almighty, Lord.  You have all authority.  I hand over my will to you to do whatever you wish.

Resolutio:

I'm going to try to copy Jesus when I teach.  No more reading books and workbooks.  I'll tell stories.



No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...