Search This Blog

Sunday, January 17, 2021

God Changed His Mind



 Lectio:   Jonah 3: 10 

And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way;
and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would
do unto them; and he did 
it not.

Studium:

This verse, this phrase, this idea of God repenting of anything seems to have created much discussion among theologians.  And no wonder!  God is immutable.  Didn't He know what was going to happen?  He has foreknowledge.  

“God is not a man that He should lie, neither the son of man that He should repent” (Numbers 23:19).

With Him “is no variableness, neither shadow of turning” (James 1:17).

 “It repented the Lord that He had made man on the earth, and it grieved Him at His heart” (Genesis 6:6); “God repented of the evil that He had said that He would do unto them, and He did it not.” 

IMHO, God's divine love is immutable. God is affected by people's actions and will reshape His plans but all in accordance with His immutable plan of salvation.

Meditatio:

I know God loves me and wishes me well.  I know the Ten Commandments, the Corporal and Spiritual Works of Mercy and what God said the consequences were for not adhering to these directives.  So when I obey, God's consequences won't happen.  Is this something like the Ninevites changing God's mind?

Oratio:

Lord, I always want to do Your Will.  Help me to see that and follow it.  And if I fail, help me to change to what You want.  

Contemplatio:

God changes His actions when sinners change their evil ways.

Resolutio:

I will make more of a concerted effort to pray before I act.


No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...