Today I am fasting, instead of whipping for I am praying for the third time in my novena to St. Dominic.
Search This Blog
Saturday, August 1, 2020
Scourging Yourself
Back in the day, specifically St. Dominic's day, it was not unusual for people who wanted to do penance or align themselves with Christ, would imitate Jesus' scourging at the pillar. Today, it is the opposite. A practice like whipping oneself would be considered masochistic. So even though, St. Dominic's third way of praying was to scourge himself, I am looking at his reasons for wanting to align himself with Jesus' suffering, rather than copying Dominic's physical actions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Not for Monkey Brains
How many times have I attempted to read The Cloud of Unknowing? Once, T wice ? I guess three times is a Trinity! I finished it. Once I ...
-
St Dominic and the Devil by Pietro della Vecchia D Don't you just love legends? I mean stories. St. Dominic stories abound. Of cou...
-
Yesterday, I posted about a sculpture on the top of a column in the church of St. Mary Magdalen , in Vezelay, France . Meditating upon the...
-
My Lay Dominican Chapter, Our Lady of Mercy, has the best spiritual director. Today he gave us, what my "cloistered brothers" ca...

No comments:
Post a Comment