Search This Blog

Monday, August 10, 2020

Ignoring Insults

 

LECTIO:


GospelMT 15:21-28

At that time, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon.
And behold, a Canaanite woman of that district came and called out,
“Have pity on me, Lord, Son of David!
My daughter is tormented by a demon.”
But Jesus did not say a word in answer to her.
Jesus’ disciples came and asked him,
“Send her away, for she keeps calling out after us.”
He said in reply,
“I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”
But the woman came and did Jesus homage, saying, “Lord, help me.”
He said in reply,
“It is not right to take the food of the children
and throw it to the dogs.”
She said, “Please, Lord, for even the dogs eat the scraps
that fall from the table of their masters.”
Then Jesus said to her in reply,
“O woman, great is your faith!
Let it be done for you as you wish.”
And the woman’s daughter was healed from that hour.


STUDIUM:

I remember learning in a customer service workshop that to diffuse an angry customer, you agree with them.  It throws them off guard.  They didn't expect you to agree; they expected an argument.  While the customer is processing the fact that you agree with them, you state your case.  The customer is hearing you and is now ready to discuss the problem.

This is exactly what the Canaanite woman did.  She had tried telling her problem to the disciples so much so that she had become a pest.  "Send her away..."  

In her desperation, she turned to Jesus.  For some reason, He wasn't in a sympathetic mood, especially from a foreigner and someone who was annoying His disciples.

She ignored His insulting words, "...dogs."  She agreed with His insult; she really was desperate, "...even the dogs eat the scraps..."  She humbled herself and cries out "Lord," three times!  

Jesus heard her plea and had mercy.


MEDITATIO:

I need the faith, perseverance, and articulation, that the Canaanite woman shows.  This story tells me that Jesus came not only for the chosen people, the Jews but also all people.  


ORATIO:

Lord, this story gives me hope that maybe I can wear You down.  I sometimes think of myself as a pest and You know what I want even before I ask it.  But if You can throw me some scrapes from Your table, I will be satisfied.


CONTEMPLATIO:

"Lord, Son of David, have pity on me."


RESOLUTIO:

I must never giver.  Lord bless me with the faith of this Canaanite mother.


No comments:

Hockey Playoffs