Search This Blog

Friday, February 21, 2014

Be Holy as I am Holy

The workbook for Lectors directs the readers of Leviticus 19:1-2, 17-18, to read with a compassionate tone.  God is explaining to Moses, not barking orders.

Be holy, for I, the Lord, your God, am holy.

You shall not bear hatred for your brother or sister in your heart.
Thought you may have to reprove your fellow citizen,
    do not incur sin because of him.
Take no revenge and cherish no grudge against any of your people,
You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

This is hard to do.  God is asking us to be like Him.  The human response is to fight back and plot revenge.  But wouldn't do that.  Is that what being holy is?

I'm not sure "being holy" is what we think it is.  It's not a moral code.  It's a state of being.  If we are thinking and feeling, as God does, why would we care that something was stolen from us?  We would consider material things as unimportant.  The only important thing is our relationship with God.  Things are junk.  They will pass.

Be holy, for I, the Lord, your God, am holy.  I desire to be holy, like God, to have such a close relationship with Him, that I wouldn't notice that my neighbor hurt me, or anything I own.  The only important thing is that I stick with God.  Think about Him.  Talk about Him.  Talk to Him--pray.  Be holy like Him.

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...