Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Family Betrayal

 Scattered here and there in Louise Penny's mysteries, is the scripture quote, Matt. 10: 21.

In the novels, it is used to mean, look within the family for betrayal.  But does it mean that?

LECTIO:                                        Matthew 10: 21-23  

21  Brothers and sisters will betray one another and have each other put to death. Parents will betray their own children, and children will turn against their parents and have them killed. 22  Everyone will hate you because of me. But if you remain faithful until the end, you will be saved. 23 When people mistreat you in one town, hurry to another one. I promise you before you have gone to all the towns of Israel, the Son of Man will come.

STUDIUM:

Jesus is speaking to His apostles.  He is preparing them for the persecution they will be receiving, from family, and friends, for preaching about Jesus.

Louise Penny is taking one verse out of context, to give a hint to her readers, that the murderer is in the family.

MEDITATIO:

It's easy to see when someone is doing something different, how rejection will follow.  The nail that sticks out, gets hammered.  

Everyone is a child of God.  Maybe we should listen and respect everyone.

ORATIO:

Lord, help me to love others, as You do.

CONTEMPLATIO:

Teach me to love.

RESOLUTIO:

I've got to pray before I speak.



No comments:

How I Grew Up

 Afraid my friends         would find out. Feel sorry for me.        judge me. See him staggering,        unemployed, again,        smelling...