Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Cribbage Catechesis

 Today, in cribbage, I had a chance to catechize.  I was playing with this lady who was wearing a bracelet, that had a cross dangling from it.  I asked her if her bracelet was a rosary bracelet.

She said, she didn't know; she liked the cross, so she wore it.  So, I took her wrist and counted: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.  This is a rosary bracelet.  She then said her friend brought it home from Rome, as a gift.

It was beautiful.

I explained that a rosary had ten beads on which to pray a Hail Mary.  Then the man next to me, said, "I don't have to pray because I don't sin."

"Oh, so you were immaculately conceived?" I responded.

"Huh?"

Thanks to the Holy Spirit, I could explain that the only person to have never sinned was the Virgin Mary.  Since she was chosen to be the Mother of God, she was born free from sin, right at her conception.  The Mother of God had to be pure. Think about it.  Jesus is God; His Mother had to be pretty special and not like every other woman. This is why Catholic tradition says Mary was immaculately conceived.

Two people left that cribbage game with something to think about.





No comments:

How I Grew Up

 Afraid my friends         would find out. Feel sorry for me.        judge me. See him staggering,        unemployed, again,        smelling...