Search This Blog

Friday, September 27, 2024

Bible Roulette

Bible roulette is a "game" some people play.  They don't think of it as a game.  They think God is speaking to them, through scriptures.  They just open their Bibles and point to a random verse.  I think you can see how this is risky, especially if it's applied literally.  It is terrible theology.   

Let's play.

I opened to Exodus 14.  Let's start at the beginning, Exodus 14: 1.  

Then the Lord spoke to Moses.

Mmmm.  God is speaking to Moses, not me.  Maybe the words that apply to me will follow: Exodus: 14:1-3.

Then the Lord spoke to Moses. Speak to the Israelites: Let them turn about and camp before Pi-hahiroth, between Migdol and the sea.  Camp in front of Baalzephone, just opposite, by the sea.

Get anything?  Me neither.  Let's continue. Exodus: 14: 1-4.

Then the Lord spoke to Moses. "Speak to the Israelites: Let them turn about and camp before Pi-hahiroth, between Migdol and the sea.  Camp in front of Baalzephone, just opposite, by the sea." Pharaoh will then say, "The Israelites are wandering about aimlessly in the land.  The wilderness has closed in on them." I will so harden Pharoah's heart that he will pursue them.  Thus I will receive glory through Pharoah and all his army, and the Egyptians will know that I am the Lord.

Ah, I finally see food for thought here.  Not that I understand it.  But still.  I will so harden Pharoah's heart.  

What? Think about it.  God took away Pharoah's free will and hardened his heart to fit into God's plan.  Wow.  That's mind blowing.  Does that mean that all the people I pray to change their minds, may have harden hearts, due to God's plan?

Further, the opposite: can God change His plans?

Why not, He's God.  His ways are not our ways, and He isn't letting us in on His plans.

I will never figure it out.  I told you Bible roulette was a dumb game.





No comments:

Bible Roulette

Bible roulette is a "game" some people play.  They don't think of it as a game.  They think God is speaking to them, through s...