Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 9, 2024

The Hermit in the Woods

 Louise Penny's fifth novel, The Brutal Telling is another page turner.  Although I loved it, I don't love it as much as the others, that I've read.  Maybe because I don't want the Olivier to be guilty.  I liked the character.

What am I talking about?

The village of Three Pines has another murder.  This time no one knows the victim.  He was a hermit who lived in the woods.  Only Olivier knew him.  Olivier did take advantage of him by paying for the hermit's work, not what they were really worth.  And Olivier lied and lied.  And Olivier moved the body and tried to blame his business rival. Hey, nobody's perfect.

There also were many new characters that were added, that I think may be in future stories.  Olivier's rivals, the Gilberts and their parents, also the Czech workers, and a new detective added to the team, Paul Morin, are new characters in Three Pines.

I can't forget that Ruth's duck, Rosa, flew away.  Now what!!!

Even though all the evidence pointed to Olivier, I, like his partner, Gabi, don't believe it.  I'm hoping future novels prove Olivier's innocence.

Besides, we never do learn the hermit's name, nor his story.

Regardless, the story keeps you involved, if not satisfied.




No comments:

Birthdays

 Two birthday parties mentioned in the Bible are one by an Egyptian Pharaoh and Herod.  The Pharaoh doesn't have a name but he threw him...