Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Glory to God

 LECTIO:                          1 Cor 10:31—11:1

Brothers and sisters,
Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do,
do everything for the glory of God.
Avoid giving offense, whether to the Jews or Greeks or 
the church of God,
just as I try to please everyone in every way,
not seeking my own benefit but that of the many,
that they may be saved.
Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.

STUDIUM:

Paul is asking everyone to do everything for the glory of God. Notice that the first thing he mentions is eating and drinking.  At this time, the Corinthians, whom this epistle is addressed to, were struggling with the fact that they were purchasing their food from that which was intended for idol worshippers to buy and offer to their idols.  

That's why it's good to pray a blessing over your food, before eating.  

MEDITATIO: 

One way not to give offense to anyone, is to accept what they offer you.  Thank them.  I don't have to eat or use it immediately.  I can say, "I'm saving this for later."  Just think WWJD.

ORATIO:

Lord, I want to be perfect like You.  I need to pray all the time.  I need to give You glory.


CONTEMPLATIO:

Glory to You, O God.


RESOLUTIO:

I need to remember to say grace before meals.



No comments:

The Last Believers

  The Women by Kristin Hannah is a wonderful story about a woman’s experience working as a nurse during the Vietnam War. It’s heart wrenchi...