Search This Blog

Saturday, January 20, 2024

Praying in His Presence

 As a teen, I passed my parish church, as I walked to school.  Sometimes, I stopped in the church, to spend time before the Tabernacle.  I would talk to God.  The church was always opened.  So sometimes, I'd pray on my way to school, sometimes, after.

Why don't priest encourage this practice?  Nowadays, Adoration is encouraged.  Back in my day, we had Adoration, too.  I specifically remember Mass with benediction and Adoration offered.  

For some reason, Adoration never caught on, in my parish.  Years back, we tried Adoration of Fridays, after the 9 o'clock Mass, until 5.  It was torturous trying to get people to come.  Finally, one pastor ended it and the lady who scheduled the hours for Adoration was relieved.  It was such a burden because if she had no one to come for an hour, she filled in.  

Anyway, the pastor said that the reason Adoration never took hold was because all we parishes in the area were trying the same devotion.  We were competing with each other.  

We do have a spiritual center in the area.  We leave Adoration to that place, Betania II.  They have 24 hour Adoration.

However, why the push for Adoration when we can stop in any Catholic Church, anytime the spirit moves us, to spend time before the Tabernacle?  That seems so much easier.  Perpetual Adoration at Betania II Catholic Evangelization Center. Published Jan. 19 2024. Specials. (thebostonpilot.com)






No comments:

The Last Believers

  The Women by Kristin Hannah is a wonderful story about a woman’s experience working as a nurse during the Vietnam War. It’s heart wrenchi...