Search This Blog

Saturday, January 13, 2024

Sexual Purity

 LECTIO:    1 Cor. 6:13c-15a, 17

Brothers and sisters:

The body is not for immorality, but for the Lord,
and the Lord is for the body;
God raised the Lord and will also raise us by his power.

Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ?
But whoever is joined to the Lord becomes one Spirit with him.
Avoid immorality.
Every other sin a person commits is outside the body,
but the immoral person sins against his own body.
Do you not know that your body
is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you,
whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?
For you have been purchased at a price.
Therefore, glorify God in your body.

STUDIUM:

Paul is explaining the theology of the body. Note that telling us that the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit follows "Avoid immorality."  Prostitution has been called the oldest profession. Pagan temples used prostitution as part of their worship.  But our baptism unites us with Jesus Christ.  This is the sacrament which is strengthen every time we receive the Eucharist. Jesus paid our dowry, so to speak, for our union with Him through grace. It's a spousal relationship.

MEDITATIO:

WOWZA!  A spousal relationship with Jesus when I receive Him in the Eucharist.  Imagine.

ORATIO:

Help me Jesus, to stay chaste for You.  Imagine, we are One when I receive You in the Eucharist.  Thank you Jesus, for loving me.

CONTEMPLATIO:

Lord, help me be mindful of whom my body belongs.  Only You, my Lord.

RESOLUTIO:

I must make a deliberate, conscious, effort to unite myself with You, My Jesus, when I take Communion.



No comments:

The Last Believers

  The Women by Kristin Hannah is a wonderful story about a woman’s experience working as a nurse during the Vietnam War. It’s heart wrenchi...