Search This Blog

Saturday, December 31, 2022

Mercy and Justice Are Coterminous

 LECTIO: James 2:13

For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy; yet mercy triumphs over judgment.

STUDIUM:

It is an act of love for God to give us this Eucharist.  His love for us sinners anticipates the adoration we need to exchange with God.  He has given us this Eucharist because He has mercy on us.  And mercy trumps judgment. 
     Does it, really?  I feel James 2:13, is a bit misleading. If God isn’t about justice, then our hope for true justice is in vain.  We can see that there is no true justice, here on earth.  It is obvious that life isn’t fair.  Only with God will we find true justice.
     If God desired justice after the fall of Adam and Eve, we would all be sentenced to hell, forever. Then I wouldn’t be here in front of the monstrance, would I?  Luckily, God is also all merciful.  Hence, Jesus’ atonement on the cross.

MEDITATIO:

I am driving myself crazy!  This is a hard lesson for me, Lord.  It is against the culture I live in.  Usually, mercy means forget about judgment.  You didn’t forget about Adam and Eve’s sin.  Jesus atoned for that. You gave us this Eucharist, I see before me. How can I judge and be merciful, at the same time?  As you often told St. Catherine, “You are God; she was not.” 

Ugh!  I give up.

ORATIO:

I thank you Lord, that You are not a fickle god like the pagans worshipped, or even the non-Christian religions that worship a god that disregard justice to showcase their mercy.  My One True God is omniscient and satisfies the demands of justice with mercy because He is love.

CONTEMPLATIO:

Come, Lord Jesus!  You are God, I am not.

RESOLUTIO:

Never again will I judge my neighbors.  It’s above my pay-grade—way above.  



No comments:

Sisterhood

  Sisterhood Two girls, who like to play sisters. Both wear different headscarves. One is a hijab. One is a tichel. Will we grow old? Will w...