Search This Blog

Monday, December 26, 2022

Learn to Pray

 Not that I'm a beginner at praying, but I'm no expert either.  I'm always want to improve.  Hence, I picked up David Torkington's book, "How to Pray: A Practical Guide to Spiritual Life".  Some things I knew and some I didn't, but in total, the book is an excellent guide for everyone, especially beginners. 

          If I were a spiritual director and a directee came to me because they wanted to pray better, I'd give them this book. He starts by stressing to keep trying.  IOW, fake it until you make it. He uses a memory job--Parousia:

     P -- Profess to God an address to Him

     A -- Adore him, tell God how wonderful He is.

     R -- Reconciliation, sorry for failings

     O -- Offer, praises, thoughts

     U -- Union, with God

     S -- Silence, listen to God's voice

     I -- Intercession, for your family and friends' needs

     A -- Action, resolve to be better.

Torkington gets deeper and deeper as the book progresses.  The reader will be meditating and contemplating by the end.



No comments:

Trinity

 Where did the idea of God being Three Persons, come from?  It came from Jesus.  Matthew 28: 19.   New International Version Therefore go an...