Search This Blog

Saturday, January 22, 2022

P.S.


 "Postscript to the Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco explains much of "The Name of the Rose."  I was very happy to find this book.  Not only do I now appreciate the work Umberto Eco put into the novel, but I understand better the architecture of the monastery.  It was so important that it could be considered a character in the story.

   The labyrinth, however, to me is what I would say is a maze.  The labyrinths that I've encountered are simple paths, not puzzles.  The one in "The Name of the Rose" was a maze that led to death.  The characters were real people, I knew because I googled them, but Eco put flesh on them.  

   There are pictures in this little book that depict the descriptions of the monastery, etc.  I wonder why they weren't in the first book.  Eco's descriptions were actually better than the real thing.  I found myself silently exclaiming awe and appreciation.


This is the labyrinth on a floor.  The library in the novel "The Name of the Rose," was built to copy a labyrinth.  No wonder people weren't allowed in.  How many would never get out?

No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...