Search This Blog

Sunday, June 6, 2021

Protectors

 When Peter was imprisoned by Herod, he was freed by an angel.  Does that seem strange to you?  It doesn't seem very strange to Peter.  He seemed to have taken the occurrence as a matter of course.  Acts 12: 1-19.

There's a footnote in my Ignatius Catholic Study Bible on Acts 12: 15, that refers me to Matthew 18:10.  Here Jesus is telling His disciples to not despise the little ones because their angels behold the face of the Father in heaven.  The footnote to that verse explains, "Scripture portrays God's angels as protectors, guides, and helpers of His people (Tob 12: 15; Job 33: 23-23; Ps 34: 7, 91: 11, Acts 12: 15, and Heb 1: 14).  The elect angels already participate in glory as they behold the face of God in heaven ( CCC 329, 336). This verse is traditionally cited as biblical evidence for guardian angels.  Several Church Fathers teach that God assigns everyone an angel to watch over him throughout life."

I also remember Dr. Scott Hahn relating the story of being distraught over his son's dire illness.  He got down on his knees and prayed fervently.  Suddenly he became aware that he was not alone in the room.  The room was crowded with angels and saints.

Over the years I've more or less regarded the stories of angels, just that--stories.  Pious stories parents tell their children so that they feel safe.  Today, I am rethinking that assumption.



No comments:

Bulletin for Mary

I'm composing a blurb for my parish's church bulletin. Some friends and I are "tree huggers." We're into gardening a...