Search This Blog

Friday, December 4, 2020

A Statement v. A Mirror


 

While turning pages this morning, I came across "The Mirror of Faith" by William of Thierry.  I was looking for "The Statement of Faith" by St. John Damascene.  I read both.  

I prefer William of Thierry's.  William talks mostly about the Holy Spirit and I can readily understand what he is talking about.  

...If when he comes he finds you humble, silent and trembling at the words of God, he will rest upon you and reveal what God the Father has hidden from the wise and prudent of this world.  You will then begin to understand the things holy Wisdom could have told his disciples on earth, but which they were unable to bear...

That's my experience, also.  How many people have been educated in religion, yet do not know God, or worse, think they know God and turn away from Him?  These people haven't listened to the Spirit.

St. John Damascene, seems not to have encountered the Spirit but was blessed. to have always have been born into Him.  

O Lord, you led me from my father's loins and formed me in my mother's womb.  You brought me, a naked babe, into the light of day, for nature's laws always obey your commands.

St. John Damascene's experience is unique.


No comments:

Praying from the Heart

 The book I chose for my Lenten reading was Inner Life A Fellow Traveler's Guide to Prayer, by David Torkington.  I finished it this Sun...