Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Wondrous

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett is a wondrous book.  My hiking friend, Mary Connor asked me if I had ever read any novels by Ann Patchett.  I said "no."   Then she said, "I think you'll like her."

She's right!  I loved State of Wonder.  What an imagination the author has!  How could she ever imagine such a story line.  The story line revolves around "searching."  First we have some of the characters searching for a fertility drug.  But one of the doctors doesn't stay in touch (it's more complicated than that.)  So one of the researchers goes to find her.  He dies, (that's complicated, too).  Another pharmacologist is sent to search, "What the hell is going on down there?"  This pharmacologist is the main character, Marina.  Communication is the problem and mail doesn't get through. Phones don't work.  So the boss, who happens to be Marina's lover, also, comes down to find her and find out "What the hell is going on?"

What's going on is that all hell is breaking loose.  I'm not giving spoilers.  As Dr. Swenson once said, "Facts sometimes aren't in the story."  And Dr. Swenson is in charge of the facts.

There are lots of surprises.  The fertility drug comes with a bonus side effect.  The doctors do a good job.  More than cures are discovered.

Best of all, I discovered a new author I like.

No comments:

Black Masking Indians

 The church, St. Augustine, is the oldest Black Catholic parish in the United States, located in Treme, Louisianna.  Tremé is the oldest Afr...