Search This Blog

Friday, May 17, 2013

Do You Love Me?

How many times does God have to ask me that question?  What, is He insecure?

Well, to be honest, I can't blame Him for being insecure of my love.  He needs proof.  Yeah, yeah, He knows my heart, and therein lies the rub.  I'm fickle.  He knows my mind, and again I slack off.  And my actions, well, they're disappointing at best, nevermind my good intentions.  So, OK; it's perfectly understanding that God is always asking me, "Do you love Me?"

These were my thoughts when I heard this morning's Gospel, John 21: 15-19.  Jesus has resurrected.  He's eating with his apostles.  But to Peter, He asks, "Do you love Me", three times.  And just like Peter, I also think, "What is He asking me that for?  He knows I do."  The second time Jesus asks, Peter recalls his betrayal of Jesus, and is embarrassed.  I also am embarrassed by my behavior.  Then the third time, Peter affirms his love, "Lord, You know everything; You know that I love You."

I go through the same process.  I am no better than Peter.  If God forgives and trusts Peter, after Peter's betrayal, then there's no reason why God wouldn't trust me.  Like Peter, I will always love the Lord, and I pray I will never tire of responding, "Of course, I love You with all my heart, soul, and mind, forever and ever."

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...